10 Ways to Protect Your Mental Health During Isolation
During the Covid-19 outbreak the best thing we can do to support our community is respect our leaders and follow recommended social-distancing measures. In doing so, it sometimes feels like we have turned all our lives upside down and backwards. We have all dealt with stress and life obstacles before, but not quite like this. If you have never dealt with your own mental strengths and weaknesses in such an intimate way as being isolated for weeks on end before now, the current situation is about to give you a personal crash course on anxiety, stress, depression, and isolation. But not to fear! Healthy Minds is going to continue to offer tips as we go through this together.
Here are several steps you can take to prevent this stressful time from derailing your mental health.
1) Maintain a routine
2) Take reasonable precautions, but don’t obsess over the virus
3) Find ways to keep your body moving
4) Be okay with having a hard time sleeping, it will get better
5) Make meal times consistent and mandatory for everyone
6) Follow your regular health treatment schedule
7) Learn Mindfulness and Acceptance, then practice them in your everyday routine
8) Try something new as a family
9) Help your neighbors weather the storm by being a good example
10) Be respectful and kind in all you do
As participant, advocate, and contributor to the mental health of Midland, Texas Healthy Minds will be giving weekly tips and a more in-depth picture of what these mental health protections may look like in your household in the coming weeks of isolation. In retrospect we may find ourselves to have become better individuals even after facing such a scare. Let’s just take this one easy step at a time. It is going to be a challenge, but we can, and will get through this together. Our next posts will go into depth on what these 10 steps may look like for you in your home.
Stay tuned in to your Healthy Mind and subscribe to our blog:
posting by: Trey Atwater. Manger of Operations. Healthy Minds